I first had these as part of a beautiful salad that also included fried eggplant rounds and several types of olives, at the Locanda Rosati near Orvieto, Umbria, Italy. Wonderful for a spring antipasto or as part of a summer lunch.
- 4 eggs, hardboiled. cooled to room temperature
- 1 small onion,cut into 1" chunks
- 1 stalk of celery, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 sprigs of basil, leaves only
- 2 T parsley leaves
- 1T capers
- 2t mustard
- 1 sweet pickle or a little pickle relish
- 1 5 oz can tuna packed in oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, celery, whole parsley leaves, basil, capers, mustard, pickle and tuna in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Alternatively, finely chop all ingredients with a mezzaluna or large knife.
- Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Peel the eggs and halve them lengthwise.
- Remove yolks and crumble over tuna mixture.
- Toss well and fill the egg white halves.
- Serve on a bed of greens lightly tossed with olive oil (and add different colored olives and/or fried eggplant rounds as you wish) and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Leftover filling is delicious spread on crostini.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 117g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 44||36%|
|Total Fat 4.86g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.48g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.47g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|